- Under Old Testament Law, if two men were fighting and the wife of one grabbed her husband's assailant by the genitals, she would be punished by amputation of the hand (Dt 25:11-12).
- Job believed that God had handed him over to evil men who, like archers, had 'pierced' his kidneys (Job 16:11-13).
- Luke, the author of Luke's Gospel and Acts, was referred to by the Apostle Paul as 'our dear friend... the doctor' (Col 4:14).
Know Your Bible 25
- Two men are reported as saying to Jesus, 'Have mercy on us, Son of David' . What medical condition did they suffer from?
- Which biblical character had his ears 'pierced' by God? What was the significance of this action?
- Who said, 'I have laboured to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing'?