doctor's life support
So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
The paraphrase concludes by setting out the enduring value of love in medicine:
- 9. We now know things only partially, and most therapies are only experimental.
- 10. But when all things are understood we shall recognise the value of love.
- 11. It is the only agent capable of creating good rapport between patients, relative and doctors, so everybody will act not as children but as mature people.
- 12. Today many truths appear as blurred images to us as physicians and we can't understand how the things of the Spirit work to maintain life; but one day we shall see all things very clearly.
- 13. And now remain three basic medications: Faith, Hope and Love; but the greatest of these is love!
Help me every day, Lord, as I am face to face with people,
to appreciate the enduring values of love. And help me to look
forward with joyful anticipation to the day when I shall be face
to face with you and shall fully understand.
Further reading: 1 Cor 13:8-13 (in another version).