- God's ordinances come out of the mouth, but are sweeter than honeycomb... and more precious than gold. (Ps 19:9-10)
- The writer of Proverbs likens the adulterer to a man walking on hot coals. Actions have consequences, and sin always leads to judgement, often in this life. (Pr 6:27-29; Ps 7:11)
- Paul recommends wine as a digestive aid for Timothy's 'stomach and (his) frequent illnesses'. (1 Tim 5:23) Recent studies suggest that the antibacterial activity of wine against enteropathogens protects against traveller's diarrhoea in a similar way to bismuth salicylate. (Weisse, M. Wine as a digestive aid BMJ 1995; 311:1657-60)
Know Your Bible 20
- Where does the Bible make mention of 'hot food' and drug reps?
- Which biblical character leapt for joy in the womb when his relative came to visit?
- Who had a daughter called 'not loved' and why?